A Few Rug Rags Ideas


 Rug rags are a charming way how to recycle old clothes. Almost any kind of old or unwanted clothes. Holy leggins and shirt, the old tights and socks... Anything. I've fell in love in this craft completely and it was a love at first try. Contrary to patchwork, in that case one has to be precise to cut and sew fabric meticulously, which was the key trouble for me. So I say bye to my quilting projects and set my focus on the rug rags.

 


The first rug rag I tried was that simple crocheted rug rag from the t-Shirt yarn (see picture above) Basically I just cut the old t-shirt and leggins into long strips (I've found that technique of cutting fabric into strips suprisingly in the book Crochet - Step by step by Sally Harding) and crocheted a simple pattern - one row of double crochets and second row of treble crochets. It was my first experience with this craft and I made a yarn a bit too thin. I was a bit dissapointed at first but could bring myself to throw the rug away. There were too much memories wowen in it. The rug has been now used by my dog for about three years and he loves it. 


Last May a discovered the endless possibilite of recycled denim. I have made two rugs and one bag so far. I was familiar with that technique from my experiments with handmade bags, I loved to add some details like plaited handlers to them. Both rugs are oblong, about 70 cm in main axe and there are made from about 6 or 7 pairs of old denim trousers. 





 

This is another experiment with the t-shirt yarn. Still it was the t-shirt yarn from my first attempt and for this type of craft it was really too thin. And maybe that is why it took ages. There are one pair of old socks half of the old summer cardigan, half of the leggins and one pyjamas t-shirt.  You can find tutorial for example hereě. Basically, you just crochet around the yarn (I think it would work with a rope or something like that instead). 

 



 When I did my search about amish rug (or toothbrush rug) I got under conclusion I need that special needle in any case. Later I discover I can do totaly without it. It is said it should be quicker with the needle, but as far as I am concerned it is totaly okay. I found something like the plastic needle on the former playground behind my house, so I try it with it. After few rounds I broke it, so I continue just with my bare hands and it goes well. 

 The rug is currently in progress. I recycle old tablecloth, some fabric scraps and old summer shirt so far. It is perfect fot recycle old bedsheets or tablecloth, because you need quite a lot of fabric. The tutorial is for here or there.


 

 I have got other rugs in progress - one simple crocheted rug and another braided rug from old t-shirt and scaps of jersey fabric. Practising this craft is definitely a goood way how to use even the tiny fabric stripes and scraps, I hope that the heap of old clothes and scraps in the corner of my living room will get thinner soon and I am also pleased to created something useful from them.

 

  

Komentáře

Oblíbené příspěvky